Monday, August 30, 2010

Road work ahead, expect delays

Last week, I was meeting my favorite lady of all time for a raspberry latte at Starbucks. Like I sometimes do, I forgot to use my brain and went into “creature of habit” mode. I got in my car and cut through campus at 5:00. For any of you who have been fortunate enough to drive anywhere in Morgantown at 5:00, you know that traffic is unbearable, especially the areas around campus. Realizing that I was going to be waiting a while, I sent her a text and said, “I am going to be late. Traffic is terrible.” She replied with, “Take your time, use the time for Him, alone. Your raspberry latte will be waiting on you.” Here I am, annoyed at the traffic and starting to get grumpy because I am going to be late and here she is (the one waiting because of my stupidity), buying my latte and giving me uplifting words of truth. I would like to say that her words were put into action right then and there but even though I turned up my IPOD and tried to let the lyrics of Dave Matthews override the chaos around me, I still caught myself annoyed at my situation. Today, I was leaving Kroger at 5:15 and again found myself in the joys of Morgantown traffic but this time, I did remember the words of this wise woman’s text message. I put Pandora on my phone (Honda still outsmarts me with the code to reset my radio) and started signing to Third Day and prayed for protection for all of those whom I love that were traveling at the same time. The inconvenience of Morgantown traffic allowed me to turn a gloomy situation into something good and more importantly, didn’t steal the joy from my heart.


Tonight after leaving the PT welcome back picnic, I was again reminded of how many of us get annoyed when we have to wait, especially in traffic. Being the dedicated fitness buff that my best friend Amy is (hopefully none of you thought I was going to refer to myself as a fitness buff), she decided to ride her bike to the picnic. Fortunately for her, she was one of the above mentioned people that I prayed for as she traveled. She arrived safely to the picnic and we managed to win 2 corn hole games and enjoyed good food and friendship. Well, I enjoyed good food Amy enjoyed good vegetables! As we were leaving, it was getting dark and I told her I was going to follow her to the Coliseum to make sure no one hit her! We managed to go 10 feet before we were both laughing uncontrollably at the situation. After a few moments, we composed ourselves and began our very slow journey to the coliseum. Here we are, Amy is peddling like crazy up Patteson drive and I am following her in my car with my hazard lights on driving 5 MPH, laughing hysterically the entire time. The cars behind me were not happy, let alone laughing. Since there are 2 lanes on Patteson drive, cars were aggressively trying to get into the other lane and honked at us as they passed us. From the cars that couldn’t get over and were stuck behind me for a brief time, I received middle fingers and disgusted looks. I was amazed at the reactions from these individuals and told myself that I would never again act like that when I had to wait in traffic but instead enjoy the journey I am on as I wait.

A lot of times, in our spiritual life we are guilty of this same thing. How many times have we been annoyed because we had to wait for a need in our lives? Wait for a healing, a financial burden, a broken relationship, or freedom from an addiction. And as a result missed out on the journey involved because we chose something other than patience. It is hard to be patient when we have a need and feel as if God isn’t hearing our prayers. God hears our prayers, every time friends. He may not deliver the answer in the timing we want or in the way we want but he most definitely hears us and he most definitely answers our prayers. Whether you find yourself stuck in traffic of stuck in need of an answered prayer, “take time for Him, alone” and be amazed at how much more enjoyable the journey you find yourself on will be . Rude drivers and short stop lights will be turned into time spent enjoying music, appreciating the sunset, and praying for loved ones. And trials will be turned into perseverance and pure joy. And if you’re lucky you may run across an amazing, wise, loving woman who will delight in your heart and an amazing, fun-filled, constantly laughing best friend who is guaranteed to provide a laugh or 2 or 100 along the way.

Verse to remember:  Jeremiah 29:11-12 "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing bits and pieces of your mind and of your spirit, dear girl. I haven't read all of your posts, but I will. (love the g'ma stories)

    ReplyDelete