Sunday, July 24, 2011

Home Made Videos

Yesterday afternoon my brother-in-law Ryan sent me a video of my nephew rolling over during tummy time. I knew that Hudson had already rolled over at 3 weeks (he has my blood in him…did you honestly expect anything less) but since I live in a different time zone I hadn’t witnessed his amazing skills yet.  When I opened the video I instantly cried because I heard his sweet little whimpers and my heart ached for him. (And now that I have watched the video close to twenty times I know exactly when his whimpers and coos are the cutest) After I composed myself, I was able to take in the entirety of my first I phone home video of my nephew.  I know I am completely in love and completely biased but I am also a semi educated physical therapist and I know that his motor skills are advanced. I am not sure if it was love or pure amazement that led to me repetitively watching my nephew roll from his stomach to his back but as I was watching it for the third time my emotions turned from my nephew to my brother-in-law. (I wouldn’t be the best aunt in the world if I noticed daddy first) My emotions still consisted of love and amazement but this time I added an abundance of tears to the mix. My tears came as I listened to the encouragement and joy in Ryan’s voice as he coached his son, step by step, through the rolling process. As he videotaped a small event in his son’s young life; he was filled with such pride, happiness, and an overwhelming appreciation for what was occurring at the other end of the video camera. I can’t speak for everyone else who watched the video clip (or for Hudson’s parents who get to watch tummy time live) but I can speak for the most blessed aunt and sister in law in world. And to me, each time I watch the video I fall more and more in love with knowing this video is just the beginning of the amazement that will exist within my family. (and the beginning of my tears)
I don’t have a collection of developmental milestone videos in heaven but I am convinced that I have a collection of “rat wheel” videos in heaven.  I call them rat wheel videos because there is absolutely no way God doesn’t entertain heaven when I choose to run around in pointless circles opposed to running straight to Him. I run around in circles because I forget that God is completely in love and completely biased to His daughter. Because He loves me and because He is my biggest fan; He is on the other end of the video camera encouraging me to keep fighting and to keep trusting Him. He is giving me the instructions, strength, and encouragement I need to complete each step of my journey in Him. And when I am tired or become comfortable half way through a milestone in Christ; He won’t let me quit. He zooms in so He can see the struggle in my face and He says, “Look this way Jay its daddy.”  I may not always be able to see where I am going and I may lack the ability to grasp the significance of my developmental milestone in Christ but I can always hear the pride, happiness, and appreciation at the other end of the video camera.  When I hear my daddy’s voice everything else fades away. I forget that the world is telling me to quit and accept defeat. I forget my desires to step back into the rat wheel. I forget the comfort of my previous milestones. I forget the negative emotions involved during the hardest and most trying times of lives. I forget what it feels likes to face life without the support, strength, and comfort of my Daddy.  Jesus is the best life coach because not only has He already completed the milestones that we face as Christians but he completed them while living a perfect life. He faced every temptation, every trial, every emotion, and every possible rat wheel situation that we face today and His Daddy cheered Him on step by step all the way to the cross. And I can’t speak for everyone who knows the significance of the cross but I can speak for the most thankful child of God in the world. And to me, when He hung there He knew that His death was just the beginning of the amazement that would exist within His family.  We are all His family friends and He loves us so much. He is the most proud Father in the entire world despite what your home videos may look like. He doesn’t care at what age you take your first step in Him; He only desires for you to keep walking with Him when your legs become tired and your feet are worn. Are you walking with Jesus today? Do you feel the encouragement from your Daddy daily? Don’t wait another day friends. Roll over and focus on your Father’s step by step instructions  for whatever you are going through.  And when you are lying on your back cooing and pumping your legs indicating another successful milestone completed; your Daddy will say: “That’s my baby girl (or boy)” and you will have an abundance of tears in your eyes as you hear the pride and love in His voice.

Verse to remember:  Job 23: 10-12 10 But he knows the way that I take;  when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold. 11 My feet have closely followed his steps; I have kept to his way without turning aside. 12 I have not departed from the commands of his lips;   I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment