Wednesday, September 8, 2010

He's in your corner

Well friends, I finally did it. I had my first nonfat pumpkin spice latte of the year. And I must say, even though it was a good afternoon delight, it wasn’t nearly as good as my staple: a nonfat raspberry latte. As I was at the counter, having a tug of war battle with myself on which drink I was going to buy, I started talking to the barista. She was impressed that I knew pumpkin spice lattes don’t usually arrive at Starbucks until the end of October, she laughed when I told her national coffee day was September 29th, she appreciated that I was frustrated at my inability to remember my reusable mug, and she was amused when I handed her 3 Starbucks gift cards because I wasn’t sure how much money was on each card. Needless to say, she gathered that this wasn’t my first trip down coffee lane or my first stop at Starbucks. More than my knowledge of coffee, this kind girl noticed my personality and my eagerness to talk and laugh with her opposed to just ordering a coffee and going about my day. After telling me about her favorite afternoon delight (a frozen mocha frappuccino), she said, “Do you like cookies?” to which I responded,” Who doesn’t like cookies?” She then gave me 4 boxes of shortbread cookies that had passed the date in which Starbucks was allowed to market them but they weren’t expired. As I was thanking her, she said “You were so friendly to me and so happy that I wanted to share them with you.” Now my afternoon delight had tripled…I added cookies and made a new friend!


Tonight I was having dinner at Muriales (For the record, I opted not to get cheese sticks this time) and my date (Fairmont’s best attorney) told me that he hadn’t seen me this happy in a long time. He also commented on my personality and how it had brightened his day. Throughout our dinner we talked about many things one of which was being truly happy. I admitted to him that the past year had treated me like a punching bag, delivering blow after blow and that the trials and circumstances of my life were winning. BUT just as I was about to stay down for the count, I stood up and allowed the joy God had put in my heart overcome the trials and circumstances in my life. When we are defeated and beat down God comes in, raises us up, and gives us the strength we need to restore our joy. Nothing in this world can steal our joy, if we are allowing God to fill our cup, or better yet, allowing God to overflow our cup. Of course, I have bad days and I run into stumbling blocks all the time but nothing in this world is worthy of stealing my true joy that comes from loving and seeking God. Ask yourself what is stealing your joy. Maybe it’s your job or disrespectful neighbors or rebellious children. Or perhaps, it’s just the struggles and circumstances that come with each day. Whatever it is, realize that God has overcome this world and nothing in it can destroy us or steal our joy. When you allow God to control your joy you won’t be the punching bag anymore but instead you will be delivering the TKO’s. And during the fight that I like to call life, not only will you be the grand champ, but you will acquire fans along the way that aren’t drawn by your victories but by the joy you possess throughout each round.

Verse to remember: Hebrews 12:2-3 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and profecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (3)Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

1 comment: