Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the wall, "who's the fairest of them all?"

I was happily asleep in dreamland when my alarm clock went off this morning. After being jolted from a deep sleep, I hit the snooze button on my phone. As my mind slowly came to life and my eyes opened for the first time, I decided to reset my alarm and enjoy the coziness of my bed a little longer. The extra 30 minutes of sleep was much enjoyed but as a result I had to “rough it” for class today. When I choose to “rough it” I only add the essentials to my morning routine: coffee, a shower, minimal makeup, and of course my quiet time with the Lord. Since I choose this morning ritual once a week, I have become quite familiar, as have my classmates and professors, to the disheveled appearance that comes after my hair has dried and the tiny bit of makeup I applied has worn off. Today as I was washing my hands in the bathroom in the HSC, I noticed that the soap had changed. When you consume as much caffeine as I do and spend 36729 hours a week at the HSC you notice when the soap you have used a million times is different. (and for the record the new soap smells terrible) As I was standing at the sink casting my vote on the new soap, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. I began laughing because my hair looked as if I had been caught in a wind tunnel. I tucked a few pieces of hair behind my ears and realized that despite my bad hair day, my reflection was still me. I was still the girl who enjoyed my car ride to class by thinking about what my day had in store. I was still the girl who laughed when I showed up without lab clothes for a LAB. I still played music on the elevator to ensure that everyone else inside started their day off with one of my favorite songs. I was still the girl who enjoyed the presence of friends despite the fact that we were attempting to study.  All morning, I was still the girl who had compassion, humility, and joy in my heart and who pursued happiness in every situation.
My happiness continued as I was having coffee later in the afternoon with the other half of my brain (for you first time or forgetful readers, I am referring to Amy). We enjoyed coffee, a beautiful afternoon, laugh after laugh, and most importantly a friendship that is exceptionally rich, exceptionally perfect and exceptionally rewarding.  In our time together she said a very simple but very profound statement…why not be happy.  She is right friends; why not choose happiness in every situation?  When you look at yourself in the mirror who do you see? Are you proud of your attitude and satisfied with not only your outer appearance but your inner appearance?  More importantly, what do others see? Are your actions and outlooks on life uplifting to others or are they defeating? Life is too short and too rewarding to be anything but happy. Don’t deny yourself the gifts of each day because you are caught up in all the unknowns and hardships of life.  Do yourself a favor, when you face a situation or a trial or even an individual who makes you unhappy ask yourself how to change it into happiness instead of choosing anger or bitterness. Seek out happiness and pursue it instead of being disgusted by what you “see”.   When your heart is happy, you won’t be blinded by bad hair days or blemishes when you look in the mirror because the radiance shining from your soul will overpower your outward reflection.

Verse to remember:  Proverbs 27:19 As water reflects a face, so a man’s heart reflects the man.

1 comment:

  1. Every morning for me is a rush out the door!=) My students think I'm crazy and my coworkers sometimes mistake me for a student. Ohwell. I'm pretty on the the inside!

    ReplyDelete