Thursday, September 23, 2010

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop

Today I learned that the oldest living American is 114 years old. Can you imagine living for 114 years?  That is four times my age! When I heard this American history fact this morning, I couldn’t help but wonder what his life had been like for all these years.   My eagerness to learn more about this man and my inability to pay attention during my 9:00 am lecture, led me to my go-to knowledge base-the Internet.  My Google search didn’t come up with the results I was looking for but my favorite radio station came through for me again and retold the story on my drive home from school.  This man gave a speech earlier in the week at his birthday celebration sharing his keys to a successful life.  He stated three simple truths that he believed would lead to a long healthy life: eat a healthy diet, work as long as you can, and always help others.  I too, believe that these words of truth can only benefit us throughout our lives and I would stand corrected if I said these simple truths didn’t also add years to our lives.  Since my brain is constantly challenging me use it, I thought of what my tips for a successful life would be.  Of course, my tips would have to include laugh a lot, sing loudly even if your voice hurts your own ears, eat bowls full of ice cream, and NEVER cheer for Pitt. When I began thinking of my serious list of life tips I tried to think of just 3 simple truths in honor of this man who had lived far beyond anything I could ever imagine.  In my pursuit to sum up my life in three simple truths, I came to the conclusion that my life can be summed up in one truth.  To live each day not for what you have here on Earth but for what awaits you in Heaven.  
I could come up with hundreds of truths and tips on how to live a successful, happy, healthy life but what is the point of having the greatest or longest life possible, if you miss your true reward at the end?  Our reward is every indescribable gift that awaits us in Heaven.  We weren’t created for this life; we were created to inherit the kingdom of God. Living our lives without God is like eating a tootsie pop and getting to the end only to find no tootsie roll inside. You go through the thickest and toughest parts of life that were filled with flavor at times but when you get to the end, you are left with nothing.  The time we have on earth whether it is 114 years, 114 days, or 114 months is meant for us to worship Jesus and lead others to believe in him so they won’t be stuck with a hollow tootsie pop.  Are you living your life for Jesus? Do you have the assurance that after you have finished your successful, happy, healthy life you will life eternally in God’s paradise? Or are you walking around focusing on the here and now with pockets full of useless lollipops?  When you start living for your true reward, you won’t want to be the oldest living American but instead you will want to be among those living forever in Heaven.  

Verse to remember:  John 10: 27-28 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment