Thursday, September 9, 2010

Personal delivery: First class letter

As an avid college football fan, I am excited for tomorrow night's Friends of Coal bowl…WVU and Marshall University will take the field in Huntington and the old rivalry will continue. I have been in attendance for the previous 3 games between these two schools and although I went to Marshall for undergrad, my heart always bled blue and gold. If I didn’t have a late class, I would be making the 3 hour (or 2 ½ hours for those of us who set the cruise control to 80) drive to Huntington. I will be missing the game from the stands and I am boycotting Comcast cable so I can’t stay at home and watch the game so I have found myself in a dilemma. A very small dilemma since every public venue in Morgantown will be televising the game but nonetheless a dilemma. I was considering a few options and then tonight as I was preparing cards for my grandmothers in honor of grandparent’s day, I made my decision. I am going to Mannington with dinner and surprising both of my grandmothers tomorrow evening. We can all watch the game together and they can chat as I squeeze pillows and yell at the TV! Despite my game time antics, I know that they will both enjoy this time together more than just the cards I was preparing for grandparents day.


Sometimes my schedule doesn’t allow me to give more than just a card and unfortunately PT school captured my brain for the past 2 years and my absent mindedness, at times, prevented me from even giving a card. But the truth is; I am a card giver. I can come up with any reason to send a card! I spend hours looking at cards and somehow I manage to leave with 10-12 cards each time. Usually, I just pick ones that are funny, sweet, or uplifting and in most cases don’t have an intended use except to write a letter that will hopefully brighten the recipient’s day. Over the years, I have received many cards and letters as well. I have a collection of my favorite ones that I re-read on occasion and the message inside means just as much as it did the first time I read it. For some reason, when you put something in writing it is more impactful and more powerful than words alone. I can honestly say that I have never ignored or failed to appreciate the words in a letter or card. But have I, have you, ever ignored or disrespected God’s word? We may not have outwardly rebelled but have we refused to let the words of the bible touch our lives? God has put all of his love in writing for us to enjoy and re-read as much as we want and need. Think of God’s words as a personal letter to you straight from his heart…A letter that has the ability to touch our lives every day because it contains that much love and fulfillment. God communicates in many ways, but he chose to put his “letter” in writing so we would always have a tangible reminder of his love for us. I encourage you to take time each day to open his “letter” and discover what he wants to tell you and be amazed at how many times you re-read his letter. The words will never grow old and his message will never fade away and years from now this will be the letter that changed your life the most, the letter you cherish the most, and the letter you can’t wait to share with others.



Verse to remember: 2 Corinthians 3:3 You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Again, you never cease to amaze me, little girl. You are awesome! I think we need to look for a publisher. These blogs could be used as daily devotions for motivating people to love and serve God. Your words amaze me, as does your love and passion for God. You motivate me!!!! I love you

    ReplyDelete