Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Blue plate special

Despite the fact that I set my alarm (on my week off), I woke up at 6:30 convinced I had overslept. I continued to wake up every 30 minutes until 9:00 when my alarm finally went off. While I should have been enjoying a day to sleep in and a night of sleep void of the toddler train that usually keeps me up until 2 am; I was waking up with a racing mind about all I had to accomplish today. My to-do list was quite lengthy for the second day of my break. I had errands to run (for myself and my grandma), I had to finish a class project, laundry to do, an apartment to clean, chemotherapy treatments to schedule,  and my personal favorite; get my tire looked at again. Midway through my morning of drinking coffee and getting my grandma’s grocery list; I began to feel overwhelmed. I was afraid that I have given myself more than I could possibly handle in a day’s time. And then I started to feel the effects of a restless night of sleep and the beginning of a cold. (I am refusing to get sick and I have been repeating the song lyrics, I am washed in the blood numerous times a day)  And just when I was about to let the fear of my extremely busy schedule get the best of me; I remembered the feeling of anxiety and fear that had plagued me for so long. As my heart rate started to rise and my face became hot, I sat down on my living room floor and pitched my tent for the Lord. I sat there and let everything around me disappear. I wasn’t thinking about my to-do list; I was thinking about my comforter; my all in all. I let the presence of God remove the beginning of my anxiety and more importantly save the day that I was allowing myself to ruin.
After I had showered and was ready to tackle my day, my grandma said, “You have too much on your plate. Don’t worry about my pumpkin pie.” The truth is I wasn’t worried about her pumpkin pie; I wanted to make her one. (Even if she will tell me many times how to follow her specific recipe) But she was right; I do have a lot on my plate right now. And because I allowed myself to spend my much needed quiet time with the Lord this morning; I was thankful for my full plate.  Thanksgiving is two days away and I can assure you that my plate will have more food on it than any other person at the table. I never skimp on my favorite day of the year and will continue to fill my plate all day long. (I have already made pumpkin pies and cookies tonight to prepare my stomach for what lies ahead) I am not willing to hold back at the dinner table on Thanksgiving Day so why should I be willing to hold back in life. I know that God has given me the strength I need to handle all of my life roles. And when my to-do lists resembles a to-do novel and the plate of my life starts to fill up; I enjoy what lies ahead of me as much as I enjoy sweet potato casserole. (I could go the rest of my life without research; I am not going to lie about that) Life is always going to be demanding friends and our plates are going to continue to fill up faster than we want them too. But if we don’t allow God to come before our full plates; we will view the items on our plates as pickled eggs and sauerkraut opposed to chocolate mousse and prime rib. God will give life to our worn out bodies. He will provide the time, resources, and energy we need to cross off our to-do list one item at a time. And most importantly, He will open up our eyes to see that life isn’t about fearing the unknown and worrying about what lies ahead but instead about taking the time to appreciate each day and to seize every opportunity to invest in the life of someone else.  
When you are about to enjoy your favorite meal and the contents of your plate bring you much happiness, you aren’t worried about anything else (except maybe if there is enough food for seconds). But when you find yourself with a full plate in life, do you begin to worry and allow yourself to become overwhelmed?  Just as God has provided you with the delicious foods that comprise your favorite meal; He will provide you with whatever you need to complete your to-do list of life. When you trust God and allow Him to provide for all of your needs He will remove the items on your plate and replace them with His richest blessings.  When I clean my plate and excuse myself from the table, my stomach will tell me it’s finally satisfied. When I turn to God and excuse myself from taking on this life alone, my heart will tell me it’s finally satisfied. And God will be in heaven more fulfilled with my love and faith in Him than He could ever be with any feast.

Verse to remember: 1 peter 4:11 If anyone speaks he should do it as one speaking  the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment