Thursday, November 11, 2010

I dance to the beat of His drum

Last night I was at Applebee’s for the fourth time in three weeks (my friends either need to move to Morgantown or Fairmont needs to add another late night hang out spot) but this time I was lucky enough to be a part of Karaoke night.  After I got used to screaming at the table in order to enjoy our conversations; I was able to take in the music. I can’t force myself to say enjoy the music because it wasn’t all enjoyable music friends. Some of the songs were brutal choices and some singers should have limited their singing to the privacy of their own home. But there were also some very talented musicians and I will say that a few times, I was actually impressed. The characters at my table (also known as regulars to the wait-staff at Applebees and as friends to me) and I were discussing what songs would provide the best entertainment to everyone in attendance if we were to step up to the mic (my choice was free-style beat box) when I asked the question, “what is your favorite song?” As soon as I asked the question; my mind began hating me because it is almost impossible for me to pick a favorite song. I couldn’t ignore the loud music or the laughs at my table, (and the pyromaniacs in the booth behind me) but for the rest of the night I kept getting lost in my thoughts, trying to single out my favorite song. (This should be an easy process since my music selection is limited to Dave Matthews Band and Christian music)
As I started my car to leave the parking lot, my friend who was parked beside me (favor in itself since I left my dome light on and she caught it before my battery died) commented on the song playing quite loudly from my CD player. In that brief moment the music in my life reminded me of the worship in my life. The link between these two may not seem like rocket science but to me, in that moment, I appreciated the correlation more than ever. The CD which was loud enough to be heard outside of my car refused to play in my car since my radio had been restored. A few nights ago, I was desperate to hear one of my favorite songs (I told you I can’t pick just one) that I had burned onto this CD years ago. The song was a live version of Prince of Peace. Despite the fact that I had tried to play this CD numerous times, I inserted it into the slot and instantly the beginning of the song I longed for filled my car. As I was again drawn back to the music on my CD; I knew that through my worship to God I multiply my witness for God. God provided me with more than a song I love; He provided me with the reminder that we are all put on Earth for two reasons: to worship Him and to be a witness of Him to others. And for those who have seen me jam out in my car, in my bedroom, or in my row at church; you know that I love to worship God. I love to worship Him so much that I don’t even care about the fact that my voice should never and I mean never be shared in front of others. I am constantly playing Christian music at home and in my car just so my days will be filled with the opportunity to worship God. But my worship for God isn’t limited to singing my favorite songs and making up dance moves; my worship is much deeper than that. I worship God by my intimate relationship with Him. This is where I can personally praise, adore, and thank Him for being such an awesome, awesome God. God deserves our worship friends. Are you timid when you worship God in front of others? Are you too busy worrying about your voice and your dance moves to focus on the words you are singing? Or are you pouring out your heart in pure worship to our King. Maybe your dance moves are almost as good as mine but your intimate relationship is lacking. Have you taken the time to hit your knees simply just to thank and praise God despite everything else in your life? If we give God minimal worship it is guaranteed that we will be a puny witness for His kingdom. Others aren’t drawn to the love of Christ through us if we only praise Him in the shower when no one else is looking or if we only praise Him during the high points of our lives. And under no circumstances are we going to be a good witness for the love of Christ if we don’t express the love of Christ. Our worship must be overflowing not only to be a powerful witness but to provide our God with adequate praise and adoration.
I may not be able to single out my favorite song but I can assure you that whatever words flow from my lips and whatever beat is inside my brain; my song of worship will always belong to God. And not even an out of tune voice or a lack of rhythm is going to keep me from dancing my way to the streets of gold where I can worship God forever.

Verse to remember: Isaiah 12:5-6 5 Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things; let this be known to all the world. 6 Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion, for great is the Holy One of Israel among you

No comments:

Post a Comment