Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sitting in the lap of luxury

Last night, I had a dinner date with my favorite group of girls of all time; the BP. (ANC and BKG-G you were missed beyond description) We have been friends for 10 years and despite the challenges of remaining friends in an ever-changing life and the doubts of many onlookers; our friendship has not only remained but grown stronger over time. Last night we enjoyed good food (Meg, you have come a long way in 10 years and Britt you know how I feel about you turning from box cooking to 5-star cooking in a matter of months), needed laughs, and, of course, coffee and ML. Throughout our night we updated each other on job promotions, Christmas plans, graduations, new exercise videos, home renovations, and health conditions. We cried together over broken hearts, we thanked God for healing our children, (a child born to a mother in the BP belongs to all of us), and we laughed like little school-aged girls. Our laughter resembled the care-free spirit of a child on more than one occasion. As we sat around the table sipping on diet coke and coffee; we played Mad Libs. As one by one we gave a word that matched the required prompt, we laughed at our word choices (my personal favorite was the response fork for an exclamation word) and when the final Mad Lib was created; we laughed to the point of tears at our end result. I thought our Mad Lib Mania would be hard to outdo but I was wrong.  Later in the evening, we played paper telephone; my new favorite game.  A simple game requiring only paper and a pencil (and a friend(yours truly) who is a terrible artist) managed to keep us laughing until we could barely breath and when we thought it couldn’t get any funnier; we went from Peter Pan to a clown ninja to the Ham bungler. After almost peeing my pants on a few occasions; we all parted ways having revitalized our youth by re-living some of our favorite child hood games. (For the record, I don’t know how the sisters of Buffalo court didn’t play Mad Libs as children)
As adults, we all need a girl’s night where we laugh like little children and enjoy the ability to be care-free all over again. But more than a night of laughs, unstructured conversations, and silly moments: we all need to have days where we refresh our faith to resemble the faith of a child. As a child, you don’t worry about career choices, utility bills, unbalanced tires, or dinner options. The concept of time, responsibility, priorities, and even matching outfits isn’t thought of much less understood. Children don’t spend their days worrying, doubting, and fearing. They spend their days watching cartoons, playing with play dough, and having tea parties with their stuffed animals. And a major dilemma is deciding on whether or not they want a blue or red Popsicle. (Green was always my favorite) When they get scared or confused; they turn to their parents for guidance. When you find yourself scared or confused who do you turn to? Do you trust your heavenly father or do you possess very little faith? Last night my heart melted when my friend’s son wanted cuddle time with his mama. And just like this beautiful little boy wanted cuddle time with his mama; I want cuddle time with my heavenly father. When I am scared or defeated, or confused, or broken hearted; I want to curl up on my Lord’s lap and sit with Him for awhile. I want to spend as much time as I need lying in the lap of God; allowing Him to make everything in my life and my heart better. Not only do I believe in His truth, His love, and His faithfulness; I believe in his ability to comfort my heart like no other.  My life can’t always be full of green popsicles and fluffy cupcakes but when I renew my faith in God daily; my faith is like a little child. And instead of seeing the world as a scary, dangerous place filled with pain and hurt; I see my Father sitting on the clouds (which I long to jump on) ready to wipe away my tears and put a boo-boo train on my scrapped, bruised, and broken heart.  I see my Lord grabbing my favorite blanket preparing my place on His lap; willing to let me cuddle for as long as I need to.  
When I was a little girl, I remember standing on the high dive at the local swimming pool. As I inched my way to the edge of the diving board, with my swimmies on, I looked down to make sure my dad was treading water below, prepared to catch me.  As a grown woman, I won’t stand facing a mountain wondering if I am going to be able to climb it. I will look up knowing that if my heavenly father brought me to it; He is going to give me the best high-quality rock climbing shoes to overcome the mountain. And when I get to the top; I will inch my way to the edge making sure He is at the bottom, prepared to catch me as I jump into his lap for much needed cuddle time.

Verse to remember:  Matthew 18:3-4 And he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment