Sunday, December 26, 2010

Many names:One Identity

For the past 9 days I have spent as much time as possible with my sister who was home for Christmas. Fortunately, my brother-in-law is also from West Virginia so they spend every holiday here but his family lives an hour and a half away from the big city of Mannington (I usually make it in an hour) so they have to split their time between families.  During my time with her, we made 12 dozen cookies, ate at my favorite Italian restaurants ( sometime next month I’ll be able to fit back into my jeans), wrapped presents, celebrated her nephew’s birthday, finished our last minute shopping, had a grandmother’s day out, and ended Garcia family fun day as game night champions. My week with her was fantabulous and I was so thankful that the Garcia sister triangle was complete again! (It is always complete but I like it better when we are all in the same time zone)  I can’t pick a favorite memory from the week but I can tell you one of the funniest moments. My sister went with me to one of my gram’s chemotherapy appointments. During her 45 minute treatment we talked about my sister’s ultrasound the next day, possible baby names, and shower ideas. My gram’s nurse (who has seen me every day for 3 weeks) joined our conversation many times as she was taking care of my gram. The next day when I was at my gram’s appointment alone, her nurse asked me what time my ultrasound was. A lady who had seen me every day for 3 weeks and clearly knew I wasn’t pregnant asked me when my ultrasound was! (a definite sign to cut back on my Christmas cookies) When I answered with, “my sister is having an ultrasound not me” she realized her mistake and laughed at her inability to tell us apart. This wasn’t the first time I have been confused for my sister (I got asked the question: Do you write for the Times West Virginian for 3 years) and it definitely won’t be the last but it was one of the most memorable.
Growing up with 2 sisters, I got called a mixture of all of our names (my favorite was always Abjay) and my identity was mistaken with my sisters on a weekly basis. I don’t mind when I innocently get called the wrong name or mistaken for one of my sisters because if I had to be anyone else for a day they would be among those I would be proud to represent. Have you ever been mistaken for someone else? Or more importantly, have you ever mistaken someone else for Jesus?  Jesus may have many names but there is only one Jesus. There is only one who hears you when you call out to Him, there is only one who gave His life for you, there is only one who paved the way for us, there is only one can set you free. It doesn’t matter if you call Him Abba Father, Lord of Lord, King of Kings, Alpha and Omega, Redeemer, Savior, Messiah, or Prince of Peace as long as you know that He is the only one.  When you have Jesus in your heart, He can’t be mistaken friends. His name will become more precious to you than any other. His name will be the name that holds the key to your happiness, your freedom, your peace, your identity, your comfort, your satisfaction, and your fulfillment. When you hear the name Jesus what do you think of? Perhaps you see the cross or an empty tomb or the miracles of the bible. When I hear the name Jesus, I think of the one who is life. I am drawn to the one who gave me life, restored my life, and sustains my life. Jesus is the name I depend on when I am in a battle.  Jesus is the name I trust when the world tells me no. Jesus is the name that delivers me from pain and sadness. Jesus is the name that comforts me when my heart is broken. Jesus is the name that loves me unconditionally. Jesus is the name stamped on my heart forever.  .
I am terrible at remembering names (I called someone the wrong name at church today) and I try to repeat someone’s name when I first meet them in hopes of remembering it in the future. Because of my inability to remember names, I have a larger sense of understanding when I get mistaken as one of my sisters.  I call Jesus many names and I can’t pick a favorite but I can tell you that mere mention of His name fills my heart with unspeakable joy. When my heart is in need all I have to do is remind myself that His name is Jesus. His name is Jesus and I love Him more than anything. And because I love Him so much; Jesus is the only name I will never mistake with any other.

Verse to remember: Psalm 8:10 Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

No comments:

Post a Comment