Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Roots of LIfe

I am supposed to be out of my apartment in two days and despite the madness of my life right now; I am going to successfully be moved out by Saturday.  Since I am dividing my belongings  between  3 different locations (my dads, a storage unit, and my new home) my packing has many steps.  After I successfully pack I have to figure out the future destination for each box. Everything I am going to need to remain somewhat functional until May is thrown in my bedroom. (My bedroom is something to behold right now but somehow my bed is made) My method was working well for me (especially at midnight  with little sleep) until I started cleaning out my desk. One item in my apartment shouldn’t contain so many important papers. (And what was my dad thinking giving me the title to my car. Isn’t that what dad’s are for?) I wasn’t struggling with immunization records, board review material, or utility stubs; I was struggling with the lone plant in my apartment.  I love all flowers and think a house is completed with plants, ferns, flowers, trees, or any other earthy potted delights but I am terrible at maintaining anything requiring sunlight, water, and occasional upkeep. In one year my poor plant has been left for an entire week in the middle of summer, (And what college student doesn’t turn their AC up to save money while they are gone), been knocked off of my desk, twice, overwatered daily, and every leave has been chewed on by my cat. I would have spared the plant long ago but it was from my pap’s funeral and I want to keep it forever. So, unfortunately for my plant, it’s future destination will be with me.
I don’t provide the best care to my plant and as a result it struggles to stay healthy and thrive but every time I think I have managed to kill it; I see green buds forming a few days later. We are exactly like my plant. We get battered, knocked down, and sometimes we feel like we have been left to die. We feel helpless in the conditions of our lives and are desperate for our giver of live to give us the nutrients we need to thrive. Everything we need to survive this world comes from God. When we root ourselves in Him; we suck up water straight from His throne. We allow the Son of the Earth to make us strong, healthy, and prosperous. When we try to sustain ourselves and cut off the nourishment to our souls from God; we will die. Over time, we will begin to wilt and fade away. We will grow weaker and eventually everything we possess will die. When God is sustaining us, we can withstand the torment and beatings from the devil; we can be dropped, kicked, pulled apart, and stepped on but we can never be uprooted. Are you allowing God to be your sole provider? Are your roots strong in him? When your flowering pot gets turned upside down are you still rooted to our true source of life?
My plant is lopsided, wilted, and chewed apart but it thrives because when I manage to bring my poor little guy close to death; I figure out ways to sustain it. My life is lopsided, my heart has been chewed apart, and my strength is wilting. But when I feel like a dying rose in the middle of a desert; I allow my roots to sustain me. I dig deep and find the core of my soul. I allow Him to overwater me and I allow the warmth of His touch to add life to my shriveled body. And just when Satan thinks he has won; I grow new green buds and wipe the smile off of his face.

Verse to remember: Job 14:7-9 7 At least there is hope for a tree: if it is cut down, it will sprout again, and its new shoots will not fail. 8 It’s roots may grow old in the ground and its stump die in the soil, yet at the scent of water it will bud and put forth shoots like a plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment