Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The wheels inside my head keep turning

Hopefully by now, you have all realized that my mind is constantly challenging me to use it. Sometimes, I wish I could just make my brain stop thinking but despite my vast knowledge of the brain (Completely joking! But today I did learn that the limbic system begins to shut down when you are sleep deprived); I am unable to find many times during the day where my brain remains quiet and allows me to check out of life for awhile. My favorite time to shut off my brain is when I am driving. I love to get lost in the music and zone out to everything else around me. (even slow drivers) And since I now spend 3 hours a day driving; I begged my brain to listen to me and relax for awhile. But today when I was driving, my brain refused to rest. In fact, I was thinking of new ideas to write about. For the past few days I have been having writer’s block. I don’t fully consider it writer’s block because in order to have such a condition; I would have to consider myself a professional writer. (typing from my kitchen bar stool in sweatpants isn’t exactly professional) And every time I share my brain with you; I have no plan just a million thoughts in my head and a love for the Lord in my heart. So like I always do, I prayed.  During my prayer, I told God: “I may be the hands that type but you are the one who pushes the buttons inside my brain. My driving time is my time with you so send my brain on overdrive so I can continue the work you started in me.” Friends, I thought my brain needed a rest before this prayer but as soon as I said amen; every song on the radio, every conversation between the deejays, and every fleeting thought inside my head sparked an idea. Within seconds, I went from writer’s block to writer’s overload.  Some writers take months off in order to refresh their brains and renew their passion for writing. If (key word if) I were a writer, I would tell them it’s much easier to say a quick prayer and return to your kitchen barstool and laptop the same night.
I couldn’t possibly pick just one thing to share with you tonight (my brain can’t even fully enjoy my pillow at night for at least 30 minutes) so I let God pick. The winner was selected at random…I closed my eyes and listened. When you allow God to speak; it’s amazing how all of your thoughts disappear and the only voice you hear is His. I am still waiting you hear the audible voice of God but tonight as I entered into His presence; I heard the voice of the deejay on the radio.  This evening as I was driving home, he was talking about all of the necessary steps to take in order to find the perfect live Christmas tree. He then went on to share all of his mishaps over the years with Christmas trees.  I will admit some of his stories made me laugh and same made me doubt his intelligence. As I listened to callers share their own Christmas tree horror stories; I was amazed at the rituals, plans of attacks, and steps they took to find a perfect tree. The only time I went to pick out a tree, I found one that would fit in my trunk; end of story.  For my entire drive home, I listened to a Christian radio station talk about the importance of a perfect Christmas tree without once mentioning the importance of the true meaning of Christmas. Your tree could meet all of the criteria needed to be considered perfect but if your focus in on your tree instead of on Christ; you’re missing out on the only perfect part of life. Christmas isn’t about finding a perfect tree, receiving gifts, eating cookies, and singing Christmas carols. Christmas is about Jesus friends. Christmas represents the birth of our savior and the miracle of not only his birth but of his life, death, and resurrection. Christmas is a reminder of the perfectness of our king. Think about the life of Jesus and how wonderful He truly is. Think about Him as you prepare for the Christmas holiday. Is Jesus at the center of your plans? Is your focus Jesus and celebrating his birth? And if you know the true meaning of Christmas, are you allowing Christmas to exist all year long? Our entire lives should be all about Jesus. Each day we should remember how wonderful He is and thank Him that the miracle of Christmas is available to us each and every day.  Christmas is a reminder that God is a miracle giving God. Christmas is a reminder that our true gift was our savior Jesus Christ who sits in heaven preparing a celebration more perfect than a pine tree decorated with the finest bulbs and brightest lights.

Verse to remember:  Luke 1:30-34 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary you have found favor with God. 31 You will be with child and give birth to a son and you will give him the name Jesus. 32 he will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.”

No comments:

Post a Comment