Monday, February 21, 2011

Cutting Sheet Corners

I look forward to the weekend as soon as my alarm clock goes off on Monday morning. But this weekend was exceptionally hectic so I can honestly say, I am looking forward to the week so I can catch up on my sleep, finish the book on my nightstand, and clean my house. (Don’t worry friends, I am fully aware that tomorrow is garbage day and all trash cans and lint collectors will be emptied.) Even though my weekend was hectic, I enjoyed a brief unplanned visit from my brother-in-law and am beyond thankful that his father is on the road to recovery after a terrible car accident. (I think it was the extra creamer in his coffee and Andrea’s nursing skills that made the difference) I also enjoyed an impromptu late lunch this afternoon with my (non-blood) sister, Ashley and her family. I was able to spend time with those I love despite my normal busy weekend schedule of responsibilities but I did cut corners throughout my 2 days off in order to fit everything in. Yesterday, my hair didn’t see a brush, a hair dryer, or a flat iron; just some Head in Shoulders and a quick swipe of my fingers. (I missed the days of hair neglect) And this morning, I didn’t iron my black dress pants for church or make my bed. There I admitted it: I left my house with an unmade bed for the first time in 2011. I never thought I would see the day where I would be a daily bed maker and I most definitely didn’t think there would be a day when I would feel guilty about leaving my bed unmade. But as soon as I returned home this afternoon; I marched my behind straight upstairs (with my head down) and made my bed before I even put on sweatpants.
I felt guilty about leaving my bed in shambles because I know that a neat bed is appreciated in my house. (Not a requirement, just appreciated) And even though I am a bachelorette this week and the only person seeing my unmade bed is me; I didn’t like the feeling inside my heart of guilt. I could spend this entire week sleeping in unmade sheets, leaving the outside light on, and double dipping when I eat cookie dough and no one would be the wiser. But I won’t because I love and respect the culprits of my bed making obsession. (I will sing louder in the mornings and I most definitely will eat 2 day old chicken this week) Being a true bachelorette; I could make my own rules for the rest of my life. And no one would ever know what I did within the walls of my little life; No one except God. And because I know the house rules of God; I live each day knowing that I could cut corners but in the end my guilt will get the best of me. I don’t feel guilty when I make mistakes or just make stupid decisions because I know that there is forgiveness in the blood of Jesus. I feel guilty when I make excuses for cutting corners in my relationship with God. I march my behind straight to my room and hit my knees when I fall asleep while I am praying at night because I waited to the point of fatigue before thanking God for all that He blessed me with in a specific day or when I hold back God’s word when talking to friends because I don’t want them to feel beaten to death with my faith. My heart hurts when I rush my prayers or read my bible so fast I forget the scriptures moments later. Even though no one can see my short cuts; I do. I see them and I know that I love and respect Jesus way too much to do what I want when no one else is looking. I love Jesus so much that I don’t have a chance to allow guilt to set in because when I cut corners; I feel it instantly. My days are longer and filled with less joy. My mind is filled with more anxiety and fear. My heart is missing the piece that holds me together. When you cut corners in your relationship with God, do you feel guilt? Do you march your behind straight to your father and ask Him to change your ways. Or do you continue to live like no one is watching? God is always watching friends and when we indulge in a bachelorette lifestyle; we are the only ones suffering from our house rules.
I like my bedroom much better when I make my bed. I don’t have to cut corners in my confession; I admit that I have turned into a daily bed maker. (I like my house much better when I hear about my not so good bed making skills but I will only admit that once) And I like my life much better when I follow God’s rules. I won’t cut corners in my life; I will confess that I daily make my relationship with God stronger.

Verse to remember: Psalm 18:21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD; I am not guilty of turning from my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment