Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spitballs

Today as I was driving to work, I was to happy to be bothered by the fact that I couldn’t technically put my hands on any patients today because there wasn’t a PT on site and that my time at the Arbors this morning was purely a learning experience.  I was happy because in the middle of February (on a Friday where my weekend started at noon), I was driving with my window down, my aviator sunglasses on, and my music up. I was happily enjoying my string cheese and Dive In by Steven Curtis Chapman when the passenger in the car in front of my launched a wad of napkins out her window. Since I am working on my road rage I didn’t honk my horn at her for interrupting my beautifully happy morning car ride with her littering. But I did let the part of my heart that has a life goal to open a no kill animal shelter tell her that innocent birds will choke on those napkins and hungry dog and cats will mistake them for food if they contain an odor that resembles food. And I also told her that the part of my heart that has a life goal to make a difference everyday did not appreciate her making her trash someone else’s responsibility. Half disgusted and half way finished letting this girl ruin my morning bliss; I went back to my string cheese and singing. A few moments later when I was stopped at a stop light, the litterbug in front of me starting throwing up and spitting out her window. Littering and vomiting in the same 3 minutes just isn’t acceptable friends, especially when my car is in the splash zone. Who was this girl and why did the driver of the car agree to let her ride with her? A few moments later when the car put on the blinker I was thankful to get rid of them and I answered my previous question. As they were turning into McDonalds, the driver of the silver Toyota dropped two napkins out the window and cut off the cars exiting the parking lot to get to the drive through. Clearly, the driver possessed the same lack of guilt regarding littering and an egg mcmuffin was worth window vomiting and wreck less driving.
I don’t have many rules when you are a passenger in my car but you must wear your seatbelt (it took me a few years but I’ve joined the seatbelt bandwagon) and if you liter; we will stop and you will go back and get whatever you threw out my window. God doesn’t have many rules to be your co-pilot either. But if you refuse to get rid of the trash in your life; he will prefer to spit you out of His mouth like vomit. God doesn’t have a list of rules you must follow in order to be loved by Him because He created us as sinners therefore we will never be perfect at any of our attempts to live a life pleasing to Him. But He does warn us over and over again that we can’t juggle a life of disobedience and rebellion and a life of Christianity. We can’t claim to be servants of God and conform to the ways of the world. We can’t claim to love God and fill our lives with everything that displeases him and breaks His heart. We can’t know the truth but refuse to apply it to our lives. When we choose to straddle the fence in our relationship with God; we break His heart more than we would if we just chose to ignore His existence all together. Being lukewarm in our relationship with Christ allows Him to see that we know the miracle of Him but are choosing to search for our own miracles in the form of Earthly desires. Are you steering yourself straight into a dead end? Or are you filling your life with trash? God wants you to be His passenger every day. He wants you to give your life to the only one who will never make you follow rules to benefit from His love.
Because I have given my life to the only one who captivates me with His love; I was able to return to my happiness during my morning drive by singing songs of praise to Him. And because I have given my life to Him; I know that I am no longer like vomit to God. He may want to wad me up and toss me around at times but He will never spit me out because He knows that the fire in my heart for Him could possibly be hotter than the depths of hell.

Verse to remember: Revelation 3: 15-16 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other. 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment