Thursday, February 10, 2011

Juror number 6

Yesterday, I received a summons in the mail from Monongalia County Magistrate court. When I saw the letter on my bed, I had a moment of panic. I thought for sure one of those radar detectors that conveniently hang from electric wires had clocked my Honda Civic going a few miles (or 15 miles) over the speed limit. When I open the letter, my fears were relieved when it was just a letter for jury duty. As much as I would love to spend the next 6 weeks collecting 40 dollars a day (and a free lunch); I knew I couldn’t because I no longer live in Morgantown.  (And I really don’t want to make up my rotation this summer…I have a nephew to spoil!) When I called the circuit clerk’s office this morning, I expected them to excuse me from jury duty and then happily go back to enjoying my coffee. Well friends, no such luck. The very unkind lady on the other end of the phone told me there was nothing I could do. I had to fill out the forms like everyone else and wait and see if the judge would excuse me. I informed her of the delay in receiving your mail when you forward it to a new address (and again reminded her that I NO LONGER live in Morgantown) and told her that my jury duty started Monday therefore my papers would not make it there before I was to be serving my country as juror number 6. After a long pause, she said: “Can’t you read the date on the letter? It was dated January 28, 2011. So all I can tell you is to be here Monday!” Can I read? Was she serious? The state of West Virginia hired a woman who was determined to send me to jury duty even when she doubted my ability to read.  If she didn’t hang up so quickly, I would have said, “Actually no I can’t read. Does that mean I am excised on Monday?”
I don’t want to be a juror because there is no way I can be on jury duty and fulfill my clinical requirements for PT school. I wasn’t trying to give the lady who insulted my intelligence an excuse she had already heard many times; I was trying to be my honest, polite, compassionate self and explain my situation. Clearly, I have never met the woman I spoke with today (if I had, she would know I can read) so she didn’t believe my reasoning. And like this woman, I have never met God and when I try to give Him my excuses and reasoning He doesn’t listen either. He doesn’t listen because when He summons me to do something; excuses and justifications aren’t an option. Trust me friends, I wrote the book entitled: God, here are the million, zillion, cagillion reasons why I can’t listen to you. And I wore out the pages of that book during my years of rebellion. Not pure rebellion, just my years of only half way listening to God.  I realized my book was useless when I had read it over and over again and God was still summoning me. He was still determined to use me to show others His love. He still demanded that I trust Him more than the situations of my life. He still distinguished His power and miracles from the evils of Satan. He revealed a new level in my relationship with Him every time I refused to listen. God summons me because He knows the hunger I have for Him in my heart, He knows that not only do I have a book of excuses (covered with dust because I no longer need it); I have a book of stories showcasing Him to the fullest. God has a job for me to do and if I refuse Him; He won’t be rude and insult my intelligence. He will give my job to someone else who isn’t using the Jay Garcia excuse manual as bathroom reading material. Do you take pride in being summoned by God? Or are you the author of your own excuse book? God has called you to do something; don’t wait around for someone else to do the job God created for you.  Don’t let your rebellion cost you the rewards you have in Christ. Your rewards which are worth way more than 40 dollars a day and a free lunch.
Monday morning I will go to Magistrate court prepared to explain why I cannot fulfill the duties of a juror for Monongalia county and pray that the judge will accept my justification. And when his final verdict is to excuse me because I no longer live in Monongalia County; I will thank my true Judge who has summoned me for something beyond my comprehension. Something so great, not even my ability to read can prepare me for what God has called me to do.

Verse to remember:  Isaiah 13: 2-3. 2 Raise a banner on a bare hilltop, shout to them; beckon to them to enter the gates of the nobles. 3 I have commanded my holy one; I have summoned my warriors to carry out my wrath-those who rejoice in my triumph.

No comments:

Post a Comment