Monday, March 14, 2011

Kicking and Screaming

I spent the past week preparing for my sister’s baby shower. I began this process mid January but last week was when all of my planning turned into preparation. I wanted my little gum nugget’s (and my sister’s) special day to be perfect so I welcomed every change in plans from my sister (although there weren’t many), every request from Houston (or Weston), every errand, and every hour spent awake instead of sleeping.  (Counting M&M’s and Gobstoppers past midnight isn’t recommended.) And although I may have procrastinated a few things; Saturday was awesome! My sister and brother-in-law loved every second of their day honoring their son’s soon to be arrival into the world. And despite my lack of sleep and  the fact that I had to put deviled eggs on a serving platter; I enjoyed every second of their special day as well. After my sister’s shower, we went to a surprise party she threw for my brother-in-law. (He says the dinner seemed too planned but trust me he was surprised) After eating my fourth dessert in one day, (I will be using my dad’s free month membership at the gym starting this week) I was convinced my day couldn’t get any better. And I was wrong friends. After my sister also ate her fourth dessert of the day (she is supposed to be eating for 2), she had me feel her belly because my little Gum nugget was moving around. As I was touching her belly, my little nephew kicked his legs and I felt his little foot on my hand. I’m absolutely in love with that little boy and I wanted to deliver him in the restaurant so I could kiss his cheeks off!
Other members of my family tried to feel my little Gum nugget kicking but they were all unsuccessful. He knows his Aunt Jay’s voice. (He has heard it praying since the day he was conceived) My little nephew was probably kicking because he was full (according to his momma that is when he does the most kicking) but I like to think that he was excited for his aunt to feel him moving around. Unlike babies in utero, I don’t kick when I am content and satisfied but I do kick and scream when I am completely dissatisfied and at my breaking point. When I feel like God has removed Himself from my life and I can’t possibly hear His voice or feel His touch; I begin to squirm in my own skin and I begin to throw punches and kick my legs around like a water bug stuck on its back. And I continue to fight, whether out of desperation or obedience, until God feels my feet against His hands. God knows my feet (one day I will ask Him why he gave me different big toes on each foot) and He knows that motives behind each kick. He knows that I can’t possibly be content until I feel His touch. And friends as soon as I feel Him, my kicks get weaker and weaker. Other people in my life may try to weaken my kicks but they don’t possess the peace and comfort that come from God. And trust me, I have tried to weaken my kicks with everything and anything but God. This was a terrible idea because not only did my kicking continue but I added 30 pound cuff weights to each leg as I kicked. Anyone who has seen me in the gym knows me plus 30 pound cuff weights equals disaster (and Bengay) every time. When I wait for God to calm my kicking, my legs don’t become weaker but my kicking does. My kicking gets weaker because when God created me, He knew I would be flailing around like a wounded water bug and He knew that after I got a good kick out of my system; I would search for Him. When you have your own kicking and screaming fest, do you wait for God to show you His perfect peace? Or do you take your eyes off of Him, allowing your legs to become too weak to sustain you? He knows the voice of His children; He has heard it praying to Him since the day each one of us asked for salvation.  

Hudson Ross Gum loves doughnuts and ranch dressing (and his Aunt Jay) and when his little belly gets full on his favorite foods; he rolls around and kicks in pure contentment. Jessica Brooke Garcia loves Jesus (and doughnuts and ranch dressing) and when my belly gets full of Him; I will roll around in contentment opposed to kick and scream in defeat and frustration.

Verse to remember:  Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
1 Corinthians 8:3 But the man who loves God is known by God.

No comments:

Post a Comment