Monday, March 7, 2011

The Sword and the Stone

Tonight, I was having an in depth conversation with a friend regarding Disney World and how it truly is the most wonderful place on Earth. We both agreed that adulthood didn’t make a difference in the fun within each theme park. If you haven’t been to Disney World as an adult you can take comfort in getting advice from a grown woman who refused to get on a Dumbo unless he had on a pink hat.  I also raced 5 year olds to get a pink tea cup; my sisters still make fun of me for that. Our conversation took us from the hidden Mickey’s to the best rides and of course the best foods. (The Tower of Terror makes me pee my pants and the masterminds of Disney have prevented me from finding half of the hidden Mickey’s) After our conversation, I decided that I will always be a child trapped in an adults body and I must go to Disney World very soon. Because I am not only a 26 year old child but a very random human being; our conversation made its way to high school English classes. My walrus/saber tooth tiger wanna be friend asked me if I had to make a shield during my days at NMHS. (I spent too much time making excuses to skip class instead of making class projects) She went on to tell me that during her senior year, she had to make a shield that described her. And on her shield, she wrote, “My foundations and beliefs in life came from the Bible and the Lion King.”
The first time I watched the Lion King, I cried. The fiftieth time I watch the Lion King, I cried. I wouldn’t ground my beliefs in a movie that makes my heart hurt but I do ground my beliefs in the Bible.  And when I proudly display my shield of faith, You will see the words, “Jesus, you are all I need” scribbled on the bottom in my terrible handwriting. My foundation is Jesus but in order to have the strength to proudly display my shield; I must read the Bible every day. God puts His word above His own name friends! And when Satan attacks us the only way we can fight back is to have the word of God in our hearts. Satan will ALWAYS be a liar and our shield will protect us from him but we can’t stop at our faith in God. Our faith will surely sustain us and cause Satan much distress but he deserves more than distress; he deserves to be reminded of his defeat. And each time we sharpen our swords by reading our bible; we remind him that we are equipped for battle. And more importantly, we remind him that God has already claimed victory over our lives. We remind him that he doesn’t stand a chance against us when we are filled with the word of God, the Spirit of God, and the protection of God. When was the last time you sharpened your sword? When was the last time Satan felt you stab him with the words of God?  I don’t know about you friends, but I take delight in knowing that each time Satan attacks me; He feels the piercing of my sword straight to his heart. Satan definitely wears out my armor at times but all the chinks in my armor don’t remind me of defeat; they remind me of his stab wounds.
 Walt Disney has produced over 100 movies depicting his creativity and pure brilliance and I couldn’t pick a single one that comes close to describing my life.  But because of Walt Disney; I can remain a young girl every time I watch one of my favorite childhood (or adulthood) movies or fly high in a Dumbo with a pink hat. God has produced over 1000 verses depicting his love and pure brilliance and I can’t come close to picking just one that describes who I am in Christ. But because of God; I will remain prepared for battle every time Satan attacks me. And one day I will be flying high in my new set of wings with a pink hat.
Verse to remember: Ephesians 6: 14-17 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, the breastplate of rightousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the rediness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition, to all of this take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flamming arrows pf the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment