Saturday, March 5, 2011

Weak and Wobbly Footsteps

For some reason, I thought it was a good idea to start exercising this week. Maybe it was because my grandma told me I shouldn’t eat so much ice cream because it would make me fat (I think it was here subtle way of telling me I had gained weight) or maybe it was the thought of my thighs in a bathing suit in a few months. Either way, I decided to take advantage of the warm weather and more alone time with God and began walking this week. Today as I was taking my fourth walk of the week, (Go ahead, be impressed) I saw a baby foal eating hay with his mamma. I instantly stopped and fell in love with him. He was so curious to the world to which he had just been exposed only months earlier and he was enjoying a beautiful day much more than I was. After a few moments at the feeder, he instinctively began to follow his mother. As he started walking his little skinny legs were wobbly and his steps slow but he was determined to stay right by his mother’s side. He was so fascinating (and funny), I wanted to stay and watch him all day but I still had 2 miles of walking to do.  If I was guaranteed to see my new favorite four legged friend everyday during my walks; I may actually stick to my exercise regimen.
I am an animal lover at heart and I especially love newborn animal totlets. There is just something magical and hilarious about watching them figure life out during their first few months of life. (And they are so cute and cuddly!) And today as I watched this little creature explore an entire field and adjust to his new legs; I saw something else. I saw him obediently following his mother.  When I should have been enjoying a cool breeze or complaining about my sweatpants falling down as I walked; I thought about my obedience to my father. I thought about the many times my legs become weak and wobbly and I struggle to take another step. I thought about the times I have been faced with uncertainty and I am too scared to move forward. I thought about the areas of my life that are unfamiliar. And then I saw God. I saw God before me during each and every moment of my life. He was leading the way and saying to me the entire time, “Just stay close to me and I will lead you.” When I trust God and stay obedient to my father; I find my way. I find my way because when He says go; I go. When He says stay; I stay. When He says love; I love. When He says serve; I serve. When He says give; I give, When He says; follow; I follow. I choose to be obedient to God and follow Him because I know that without Him; I am a little foal constantly trying to become accustomed to a scary world. God wants all of us to be obedient to Him so He can guide us through life. So He can lead us through the most trying, difficult, and scary times of our lives. So He can graze in fields of gold and watch us run wild in a world He created just for us free of shame, fear, and burdens. God wants to take you deeper and further in your relationship with Him. Will you take the first step by obediently following your father? Will you stay close to Him and allow Him to lead you? To God, there is something magical about watching you take your first steps with Him, allowing Him to figure out your life for you.
I know that at some point during my exercise spurt, my legs will become sore and wobbly due to the increased demand on my muscles. I will try to convince myself that the best solution will be to quit walking every day. But I know that the cure to muscle soreness is stretching and more walking. (someone remind me of that when I am complaining later) I also know that at some point during my walk with God my legs will become weak and wobbly due to Satan’s increased demands on my life and I will try to convince myself that the best solution is to quit following Him. But I know that the only cure for this young foal is more of Him. (someone remind me of that when I start to believe Satan’s lies later.)
Verse to remember:  Deuteronomy 13:4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment