Friday, June 17, 2011

Hudson, You were worth the wait


My day started at 7:30 AM when I heard my brother-in-law talking. I listened for awhile to make sure my sister wasn’t in labor and just as I was almost certain everything was ok (and thankful to go back to sleep) my sister came into my room and said, “We are going to the doctor in an hour, I think I am having contractions.” Brandy seemed very calm and very relaxed so I got out of bed and headed to the kitchen to start the coffee pot. As I was watching the coffee pot finish brewing; my sister grabbed her kitchen counter and endured another contraction. This time, she didn’t look as calm and relaxed as she had moments before. I timed her contractions and realized not only did I not have time for coffee; I didn’t have time to shower (or fix my bed head that resembled Elvis’s hair).  Hudson was making his entrance into the world today and all of my energy and time shifted from me to my sister and my nephew. When we arrived at the OBGYN’s office, he did a quick exam, told my sister she was dilated to a 4, and sent us to the hospital. (I would like to take this time to brag about my sister who endured 4 hours of contractions and 3 centimeters of dilation before waking up Ryan and I.) Once at the hospital, my sister received her epidural and the waiting game began. As we were waiting for my nephew to make his grand entrance, Ryan and I watched a movie and Brandy slept as much as she could between nurses checking on her and her contractions. (I definitely had the better end of the deal) Five hours after receiving her epidural my sister gave birth to Hudson Ross Gum; the most perfect snuggle bear God ever created.

The five hours I spent waiting at the hospital for my nephew to arrive went by very quickly (Partly because we were in a labor suite and partly because I was beyond ecstatic to meet Hudson.) and when it was go time; Aunt Jay was ready to help coach mommy thru her delivery. I can honestly say I would have waited 300 years to meet Hudson because he is that perfect. (I can also honestly say I will never be able to leave him in 2 weeks) But could I, or could you, honestly say we would wait 300 years for God? When God’s plan for our lives requires us to wait on Him, how do we respond? When I have to wait for God to reveal Himself to me in a way that allows me to feel His presence; I don’t always wait patiently. In fact, it took me many years to even wait at all. Waiting on God to move in our lives requires us to have a genuinely strong relationship with Him. And that relationship requires a lot of work. If I wasn’t completely in love with God, I can assure you I wouldn’t wait for Him to make the desires of my heart realities to me. Because I love Him so much, I don’t spend my days focused on what I am waiting for or what I need from Him; I spend my days worshiping Him and serving Him while I wait. And the best part is, the more I fall in love with Him; the less I crave my needs and wants. I crave Jesus friends and my cravings for Him minimize my own personal waiting game. Loving and serving God doesn’t make Him change His mind about my journey in Him; it changes my mind about my journey in Him. It opens up my eyes and allows me to see that God remains the same despite my circumstances. And because He is the same, I will love, worship, and adore Him the same everyday.  I don’t wake up each day and see defeat and pain from the impossibilities in my life. I wake up each day and see the only one who can turn my defeats and pains into His glory. God’s timing and Jay Garcia’s timing aren’t always the same (usually I’m off by A LOT) but when the wait is finally over; this 27 year old snuggle bug can honestly say God is the beyond perfect and the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

My sister endured 9 months of pregnancy and perhaps the smoothest delivery in the state of Texas (after her hormones regulate; I’ll tell her I have it all on video) and when her son was placed on her chest; the world around her stopped and nothing else mattered in that moment. Each and everyone of us will endure our predetermined time on this Earth and it most definitely won’t always be smooth. But when God’s son places in hand in ours and leads us to our Father; the world around us will disappear and in that moment nothing else will matter; not even the wait we endured to get there. 

My wait has been longer than nine months but my heart will be just as happy when I finally meet my unborn niece/nephew when I get to heaven. Aunt Jay loves you so much Baby Bray...you are my angel snuggle bear.

Verse to remember: Psalm 33: 20-22 We wait in hope for the LORD;  he is our help and our shield. 21 In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. 22 May your unfailing love be with us, LORD, even as we put our hope in you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment