Monday, June 20, 2011

It Was Love At First Sight

Three days ago, I was blessed to have the once in a lifetime experience of watching my first nephew’s birth. The moment I saw him enter this world; my life changed forever. It was definitely love at first sight. (We kissed on the first date) I fell in love with his tiny feet, his perfect nose, and his long arms with the fingers that wrapped Aunt Jay instantly. My love for my little snuggle monkey expanded to a level I didn’t know existed when I held him for the first time. As tears stained my cheeks, I looked at his peaceful face, felt the warmth of his skin, and watched his chest rise rhythmically with mine. Time stood still and all I could do was cry and thank God for creating the most perfect baby in the entire world. (Of course, I am partial but he is the cutest baby I have EVER seen) I could have stood in the delivery room for a lifetime just staring at him and kissing his head but the nurses at the Woman’s hospital of Texas (and mommy) made me give him back so he could get the proper “welcome to the world” examination. Fortunately, I was still love struck when I handed him back to my sister and didn’t put up much of a fight. And fortunately, Hudson loves his aunt Jay just as much as I love him and prefers to snuggle on my chest when mommy and daddy sleep. I am not rejoicing in the fact that my sister and brother-in-law have a lot of adjusting to do to their previous schedules(I fixed them breakfast at noon today and last night I was grilling chicken at 9:00) but I am secretly rejoicing in the fact that I benefit from their newly crazy schedules. And my benefits get better with each snuggle time and forehead kiss.

The love I have in my heart for my nephew is unlike any emotion I have ever experienced. I sit by my sister when she breastfeeds him just to watch him and I offer to change every diaper just so I can kiss his feet. I truly don’t know how I ever lived without him and more importantly I don’t know how I am going to fly back to West Virginia without him. (Maybe I can sneak him on the plane with me) In just three days, I have changed everything from my sleeping schedule to my burping techniques because of my love for one special little boy. Can you imagine the love God had for us when he created His special little boy? Can you imagine giving up cuddle times, the smell of baby lotions, and tiny fingers that grasp your face to people who would ultimately crucify your son? I personally can’t. I would cut off my arms with a dull butter knife in order to protect Hudson and I would give anything to bottle him up and keep him forever. And he is my nephew not my son. But God gave up His son so I could have as much snuggle time with Hudson as I could stand. He gave up His son so my life would be forever changed. When God created me in my mother’s womb; it was love at first sight. Of course, He fell in love with my ugly feet, my dark eyes, and my dimple but I hope He fell in love with my heart; my heart that has been changed because of His son. Jesus has changed my heart in a million ways but no matter how in love with Him I become; I still go back to the first moment I held Him in my heart. I go back to the moment of my salvation. It was the first time God’s sacrifice became real to me. It was the first time I was love struck by Jesus. I couldn’t possibly change my heart without Jesus and neither can you friends. You may never have the joy of holding a newborn baby against your chest and falling in love instantly but you can have the experience of holding Jesus in your heart and falling in love instantly. My heart belongs to Jesus and some days that thought alone gets me out of bed to face another day. My heart belongs to Jesus and some days I hope that thought alone takes away God’s pain of giving up His son to be crucified. God created us to love His son; He created us to know the benefits of His special little boy. Do you have a personal relationship with His son? Do you have your own love struck moment with Jesus? Don’t wait friends. God loves us just as much as He loved Jesus and He wants to kiss your forehead and feel your tiny hands grasp His face. He wants to protect you, bottle you up, and keep you forever.

Every morning when I hold Hudson and look into his eyes, my heart melts and I cry. I imagine summer camp outs (as long as there aren’t bats and spiders), zoo trips, and ice cream outings with my snuggle monkey. Then the thoughts in my mind vanish and his perfectness draws me in and I fall in love all over again. Every morning when I allow Jesus to hold me, my heart melts and I cry. I imagine my career, the next decade of my life, and my hurts (and the negative effects of my ice cream addiction).  Then the thoughts of my mind vanish and His perfectness draws me in and I fall in love all over again, changing my heart a little more to reflect the most special little boy God ever created.

Verse to remember: Psalm 36: 7-8 7 How priceless is your unfailing love, O God!
   People take refuge in the shadow of your wings. 8 They feast on the abundance of your house;  you give them drink from your river of delights.

No comments:

Post a Comment