Saturday, January 1, 2011

This is a Two Man Job

Today, (after 6 hours of cleaning) I finally said goodbye to 845 Monongalia Avenue. As I mopped floors and vacuumed window sills, I entertained my mind by trying to think of a book title, made a mental grocery list for my grandma, and repeatedly reminded myself to clean out my freezer. (The next occupants of 845 will be inheriting my frozen WVU mugs and cookies from my sister’s wedding) I challenged myself to think about more than just to-do lists while I was cleaning; I challenged myself to come up with a good New Year’s resolution.  I don’t really believe in New Year’s resolutions for two reasons. First, I know myself well enough to know that I can’t abruptly quit/begin something without preparation.  And second, I try to do a self-evaluation on a regular basis. Sometimes, it takes me awhile to listen to myself but I am consistent in examining my life for improvements. A few hours into cleaning my apartment, (my landlord should be very thankful for my OCD cleaning skills) I was ready for a full body massage and for a cleaning service. I was sitting on my bedroom floor taking a break and I said out loud the words I had heard the day before, “this is a two man job.” I started laughing because after one evening, I had already applied my Pastor’s way of thinking to my life. (Thankfully, I applied his love for Jesus to my life long ago). And in that moment the phrase, “This is a two man job” became my New Year’s resolution.
I am not going to make every task I encounter a two man job. In fact, today was the first time in many years I made my bed all by myself (before 11:00 am I may add). But I am going to make every part of my life a two man job with Jesus. I don’t want any area of my life to be void of Jesus. I don’t want to face a single day without Jesus as my partner in crime. I live everyday in pursuit of His plan and strive to make Jesus visible through my attitude, actions, and love for others but at times I make my life a one man job. When I am behind a slow driver, I am most definitely a one man team. I forget that He has everyone of my steps planned out. I forget to cherish alone time with the one I love. I forget that one day, I too, will obey the speed limit. When Customer Service Representatives are impatient and rude I am again a one man team. I forget that they can have bad days. I forget that despite their negative attitude, accusatory remarks, and poor language choices; they are loved by Jesus the same as I am. We all have areas of our life that need more of Jesus but I want my New Year’s resolution to be more than just improving my patience and kindness. I want to start each day by spending time alone with Jesus, allowing Him to show me areas of my life that are in need of Him.  I want to fill the gap for my savior. I want to be used as the second member of His two man team.  Each day I want a new job, a new opportunity to share the love of Christ with someone, a new opportunity to expand the kingdom of God, a new opportunity to complete a task designed specifically for me.  Are you fulfilling your job responsibilities in Christ? Or are you taking on your own roles and responsibilities?  He has a job for all of us. We are all part of His team but in order to get His job done; we must always be allowing Him to work through us.
There are parts of each day that are made better simply by sharing the work with someone else.  And there are times we can’t physically, mentally, or emotionally withstand a situation alone. When we allow our lives to be a two man job with Christ, we win every time friends. We win because He will never allow us to face a situation alone. And we win because with each new job comes a new responsibility that only we can specifically fulfill. I have failed at keeping a New Year’s resolution every year but this year I know I won’t fail. I won’t fail because He has a job for me to do and neither member of my two man team will quit until my job is finished.

Verse to remember: Philippians 1:6 Be confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment