Thursday, January 6, 2011

Focused on the Face of God

I have been going to the grocery store weekly for my grandmother for over a year. (If you remember she gives me the weekly add circled with her choices for the week) And when my other grandma began chemotherapy 6 weeks ago my weekly shopping trips doubled. (Thankfully, she believes in a traditional grocery list) My trips to the grocery store are usually uneventful and very routine. For some reason when you reach 70 years old, you tend to add the same items to your grocery list each week. But this week, I found myself in unfamiliar stores. I still went to Kroger with my circled weekly add; I just went to a different Kroger than I normally shop at because I was running other errands for my grandma on that side of Morgantown. For the record, shopping at a new store while looking through an add only adds to the chaos of grocery shopping. As I was standing in an aisle, making sure I had added every circled item from the frozen section to my cart; I heard a lady asking about orange juice. Half listening (because she was quite loud) and half wondering where the sliced peaches (in light syrup) would be located; I heard her ask again. Only this time she was shouting. I pushed my cart to the end of the aisle and I saw the woman behind the voice. She was standing by the dairy cooler asking shoppers where the orange juice was. And after being ignored three times, she began repeating the phrase” Excuse me where is the orange juice” at the top of her lungs.  I had no clue where the orange juice was (I spent 10 minutes looking for angel food cake) but someone had to put this nonsense to an end. So I walked up to her and offered to help. Surprisingly, her response was: “Where is the orange juice?”  I helped her find the orange juice section and once there; I left quickly before she started shouting again.
Since the juice section was visible from the scene of the shouting incidence; I am confident that the woman l helped made little effort to find the juice herself. Instead she searched for the hand of someone else to help her. I offer my help instinctively, especially when I see a distressed woman. And when I myself am a distressed woman, calling out for help; God instinctively offers His help. Only sometimes is help doesn’t come in the form of a helping hand. But that doesn’t mean God isn’t there. When I can’t see the hand of God; I see the face of God. I see the representation of truth and love. I see the words of my bible. I see my miracle performing God. I see my best friend who has never forsaken me. I see my strength. I see my hope. I see the throne of heaven and know that the one sitting on His throne remains the same. I don’t need God to do the work; I need to allow God to do His work in me. I need to keep my eyes focused on who He is and not worry about what He can do for me. The truth is, He can do anything. And when I seek His face opposed to His hand; I am more aware of His majesty and power than ever. I am more aware because I don’t lose sight of who He is in my pursuit to expect things from Him. I don’t stand and shout for help refusing to move until He gives me His hand; I give Him thanks and adoration instead. I may cry out for help for days but the face of God never leaves my heart. When you are desperate for God, do you seek His hand or do you seek His face? Does the image of Christ you keep in your heart fade away when you find yourself in need? The next time God instinctively offers His help, remember His words of life. Remember that He may be slow to offer His hand but the love in His eyes is always there.
When the shouting lady of Patteson Drive Kroger finally came face to face with the orange juice counter; she instantly helped herself to the juice that was obviously very important to her. When we cry out to God; He will meet us wherever we are. He will stand face to face with us and allow us to help ourselves to whatever we need in Him. Just because He doesn’t hold our hand as He does the work for us does not mean he isn’t taking us by the hand as He directs our path and leads us to see another aspect of His beautiful image.

Verse to remember:  1 Chronicles 16:11-12 11 Look to the Lord and his strength, seek his face always. 12 Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles and the judgments he pronounced.

No comments:

Post a Comment