Sunday, January 16, 2011

It Just Keeps Getting Better and Better

Aside from loving God, my favorite thing to do is laugh. (Eating ice cream is my third favorite) I honestly welcome every opportunity to provide laughter, join others in laughter, and seek out laughter. Thankfully, God has provided me with friends who appreciate my laughter and who provide me with many, many laughs. (I need Amy to get well soon because I am in need of the laughter only she can provide) And today He blessed me with an after church lunch filled with laughs compliments of Jess. She is a walking book of hysterical stories and one line quotables. As we were eating lunch, she was sharing 2 stories that she had already told me previously. And as she animatedly explained every detail of her stories; I laughed. I laughed so hard I almost choked on my salad and visible tears were forming in my eyes. After she had finished her stories, I was laughing harder than anyone else at the table even though I was the only one who had heard the stories before.  I truly think the second time I heard the stories; they were funnier. I know it isn’t fair to write about stories and not share the details but I am only allowed to publically humiliate myself.  (And you don’t know her lack of rhythm so one story wouldn’t be nearly as funny)
A funny story gets better when you hear it again and again (and again) and no matter how much the victim of the humiliation wants to forget the incident, they can’t. (Especially, if you’re my friend because I will laugh at the incident every chance I get) I share personal “funny stories” daily and I embrace the laughter involved. The funny stories of my life do more than make me laugh; they remind me of experiencing God. Experiencing God doesn’t always make me laugh but I normally do have a smile on my face and tears in my eyes when I experience Him. My stories remind me of God because each time I hear from Him; it gets better. Each time I hear from Him; I can’t forget about  His story that He has entrusted to me to share. Despite the fact that I know what to expect when I submit my heart to Him each morning and despite the fact that I think I know every detail to His love; I am the one soaking up His presence more than anyone else. Each day when I allow Him to tell me the stories of His love, His promises, His greatness, and His perfection; I can’t wait for the next time to hear it again and again. When you experience God, does it get better each time? Does his existence leave a lasting experience? If experiencing God doesn’t blow your socks off time and time again then you aren’t truly allowing yourself to experience Him to the fullest. You aren’t allowing Him to make your life complete with His stories. I experience God daily. And some days are more powerful than others but every moment spent in His presence changes me. Each day when I hear from God, my relationship grows deeper.  Each day when I hear from Him; he transforms every dark and gloomy situation in my life into laughter. I am able to laugh because I know Satan is going to feel defeat from God once again because my life is in His hands. And each time I defeat Satan, it gets better and better.
Today at lunch, I drank 4 diet cokes.  Because I know I have an addiction to fountain sodas, I told our server to keep me constantly supplied. And she definitely did; she brought me 2 refills at a time (it’s the small things in life that make me happy).  When Jess noticed my collections of cups, she said “did she really bring you two refills?” I responded with, “Yes, she keeps my cup full. It runneth over.”  (I was trying to provoke laughter and it was a success.) My waitress did keep my cup full (and Jess supplied with a bowl full of lemons) but the only one who keeps my cup running over is God. And when He sends His flood; I jump in and stay submerged because I know that when I hear from Him it will get better  and better and better and…
Verse to remember:  Psalm 63:3 Because your love is better than life, I will glorify you.

No comments:

Post a Comment