Friday, October 1, 2010

Help is on the way

When I received my application letter for physical therapy school, I remember all of the steps and requirements involved. I had to have the proper classes, a specific GPA, a competitive GRE score (and friends mine was anything but competitive), letters of recommendations, and answer questions specific to each school to which I was applying.  WVU had an additional requirement. They wanted a letter of purpose. I put off writing my letter of purpose until the last minute because I wasn’t exactly sure what to include and more importantly, I wasn’t quite sure what my purpose was. At the time, I wanted to be a physical therapist because I liked working with people, witnessed personal success with PT, and the career interested me.  None of these would be enough to write 2 pages and it definitely wouldn’t make me stand out among 100 plus applicants. So when I sat down to write my letter of purpose, I examined my heart and let my heart lead me instead of allowing my brain to make me seem “purposeful.” I don’t recall everything I included in my letter of purpose, but I do know that ultimately I wanted to be a physical therapist because I had a strong passion to invest in the lives of others and I wanted to forever have a career grounded in helping others.
Wednesday afternoon as I was working with a physical therapist, we attempted to treat a patient with severe vertigo. Her symptoms were by far the worst either of us had ever seen. (I know, not much coming from me since I have very little clinical experience but a lot coming from an NCS PT) I say attempted to treat her because all of the treatment options available to us, combined with all of our knowledge, weren’t enough to alleviate her symptoms. In fact, we managed to make her vomit three times.  The only comfort she had when we left her room, was finally a diagnosis to her misery and education on how we hoped to make her better. When I left the hospital Wednesday, my heart was sad because we weren’t able to help her.  That evening I re-read a few of my textbooks and looked up articles I thought might reveal another option we overlooked. I was determined to help this lady feel better. After I had exhausted all of my resources, I knew we had given her the best PT care available and I could only pray that her symptoms would decrease by the next day.
My desire to help others fails in comparison to God’s desire to help us. Unlike any human abilities, God’s abilities are never attempts and his resources are never limited. There isn’t one situation, sickness, trial, or even one person that can’t be “helped” through and by God.  Whatever the case, God never scratches his head for the answer, He doesn’t ask someone smarter than Him for guidance, and He definitely doesn’t give up. Why? Because He is the answer, He is the all-knowing, and He refuses to let us live a life depleted of His presence.  Think about a time when you felt completely helpless and how much it hurt your heart to have nothing more to offer. Now, imagine how much God’s heart hurts when he has everything to offer us and we won’t allow Him to help us.  I can promise you His heart only hurts because he wants to take care of everything for us. The next time you need help in any area of your life, jump on God’s back and let him carry you. If you really want an easy and enjoyable journey, put on a blindfold when you’re on His back and let him not only carry you but lead you.
Verses to remember: Psalm 121 1-8

1 I lift my eyes to the hills-where does my help come from? 2 My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot slip-He who watches over you will not slumber; 4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The Lord watches over you-the Lord is your shade at your right hand; 6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The Lord will keep you from ALL harm-he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment