Monday, October 25, 2010

Life is a highway

She is finally home! My little Bitsy Ruba (my cat) has been away since June because I was gone for a summer rotation and because I didn’t want my dad to have the responsibility of my cat and my grandmother’s cat at the same time. This weekend I drove to Columbus to get her from her home away from home.  When I arrived on Friday she ran up to me and smelled my face and licked my toes.  A strange greeting, I will admit, but nonetheless that’s my little girl’s normal routine when she sees me. Despite not seeing her for months she remembered her mamma. And her mamma was just as excited to see her. I did the normal baby talking, cuddling, and scratching under her chin (her favorite spot) for almost 30 minutes.  I had to remind myself of that love and excitement as I was driving home with my beloved “daughter” in the passenger seat next to me.  Bitsy Ruba is not a fan of the car. She gets somewhat car sick and hates her cat carrier so she meows as loud as she can (usually for half of the trip) until her lungs are exhausted and she collapses into a sleeping stupor. Despite my efforts to turn up the radio to drown her out and talk to her in my sweetest most loving momma voice; she continued for almost an hour. During my radio surfing for a station, the song life is a highway by Rascal Flatts came blaring out of my speakers.  I love Rascal Flats and found a much needed escape from the meowing by jamming out to this song,
When the lyrics ended, I waited for the next song and started thinking about the truth in the statement: life is a highway. My life consists of many valleys, twists and turns, mountaintops and wrong turns but despite my scenery I am still allowing God to come along for the ride. By choosing to keep God in my heart always; I am allowing Him to provide direction, clarity, and purpose to my journey.  During any long trip with a worthy final destination; we travel on the necessary terrain to get to our intended destiny. But do we travel through the necessary terrain in order to get to our final destiny in Christ? When we have led ourselves down a dead end or are stuck in a valley for longer than we want; do we continue traveling with God or do we kick out our passenger? You may not kick God out of your life but do you start questioning your life’s atlas and the direction He is leading you? Or do you ignore your GPS and come up with your own short cuts convinced your way is better than His way? None of us like to be lost or spend time in life’s valleys but sometimes that’s exactly where God wants us to be. We can’t bear fruit when we are on the mountain tops and we can’t allow God to work in our lives if we are stuck living in only the high points of our lives. When we travel in our cars we are inevitably going to encounter the rude driver who is riding our bumper even though we are going 10mph over the speed limit (well, maybe I am the only one who consistently drives 10 mph over the speed limit) and every once in awhile, despite advancements in technology, we are still going to get lost and take wrong roads but that isn’t going to stop us from driving. So why would we allow the disruptions of our lives stop us from traveling on the road that God has prepared for us. The best part about traveling on God’s highway Is that we are never alone and no matter how far off the beaten path we take ourselves; God is right there to lead us back in the right direction.  When you feel like life has you traveling on an unknown highway filled with pot holes and valleys with a continuously meowing cat, squeaky breaks, and 2 radio stations to choose from remember that you are traveling on God’s highway of holiness and your final destination is worthy enough to endure whatever terrain is before you.
Verse to remember: Isaiah 35: 8-10 And a highway will be there; it will be called the way of Holiness. The unclean will not journey on it; it will be for those who walk in that way; wicked fools will not go about on it. 9 No lion will be there, nor will any ferocious beast get up on it. They will not be found there. But only the redeemed will walk there, 10 and the ransomed of the Lord will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and Joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.

No comments:

Post a Comment