Thursday, October 28, 2010

Voyage of the faithful

If it hasn’t been apparent by now; I have a very difficult time paying attention in class when I am either tired, out of coffee, or disinterested in the subject matter. Today after a break in my class, my teacher returned and began explaining the differences between autosomal dominant and sex-linked genetic disorders. I should have been taking diligent notes since I could only remember half of what she was saying (I have been tested once in genetics since beginning PT school but who really likes Mendelian genetics) but instead I found myself exploring the Addison Road homepage. This led me to the blog of the lead singer which, I may add, was way more interesting than chromosome mutations. Through my exploration of her blog; I came across her most recent entry ironically talking about her being an explorer. As I read her blog (and became more removed from my morning lecture), I realized that I am not much of an explorer at all. I like adventures and road trips but the extent of my exploring is limited to the discoveries of treasured keepsakes and not so treasured items in my grandma’s basement.  I don’t ever remember exploring the woods around my house as a child or even going on treasure hunts. I preferred mud pies, bike riding, building blocks, and tormenting my sisters. I still don’t have an interest in outer space, the ocean, caves, or historical landmarks. In fact, I’m not fully convinced we ever actually walked on the moon and I only go waist deep in the ocean because I know what creatures live there and have no desire to go searching for them. I do however appreciate the beauty of the seasons, the delicate touch of a snow flake, the attraction of a breathtaking sunset, the peacefulness of ocean waves, the warmth of sand between my toes, the laughter accompanying a kite soaring in the sky, and the smell of rain. So in some regard, I consider myself an explorer of Earth and all of the mysteries contained within its spherical boundaries.
If Christopher Columbus was looking for someone to tag along with him on his pursuit to discover America, I wouldn’t be a good candidate but when God is looking for someone to explore Him; I am the best candidate. We are all good candidates. When we explore God, He manifests himself in us and we become a temple for His word and the Holy Spirit. When we are in Christ, we are never fragile and the only way to ensure our strength is to explore God every day. The bible will lead us to more discoveries than any map and the treasures inside the pages go far beyond any treasure found in the woods, the ocean, or an ancient tomb.  With each verse, each story, and each truth found in the bible comes a new discovery not only in Christ but within ourselves. Have you stopped exploring God? Or do you feel as if you have discovered all there is within the pages of your worn bible? God’s work in us is never finished and He will never stop revealing to us the depths of His treasures. If we stop exploring God then we are denying ourselves the beauty, the pleasure, and the overall awe factor that comes along with each new discovery in Christ. When we are obedient and seek God first and welcome every opportunity to explore Him our lives turn from the mess we’ve made it into God’s greatest creation.  We don’t need maps, telescopes, and back packs full of necessities in order to be an explorer of God. All we need is faith, obedience, and a desire to embrace each new discovery. I don’t remember any being part of any scavenger hunts but I do know that as I (God) reveal another clue to my life; I explore Him more and more to witness and experience the true beauty and rewards of my voyage.

Verse to remember: Hebrews 4: 12-13 For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

No comments:

Post a Comment