Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rags to Riches

This morning my clock went off extra early because I needed to take my trash out (an unidentifiable salamander like creature kept me from going outside last night) and I was making a Panera coffee run before class. (I’m a Starbucks girl but I’ll settle for Panera when my coffee run is for someone else) As I silenced the harps (I prefer to wake up to harps opposed to an annoying buzzing), I pulled my comforter up over my face because my nose was an ice cube. Once my brain was awake, or should I say unthawed, I got out of bed and headed to the shower. I was thankful, but surprised, to hear my furnace on as I waited for the shower water to heat up. My thermostat is set to 60 because I can’t justify living in temperatures below 60 but I refuse to turn my heat on permanently this early.  After my shower, I put on my favorite sweatpants and favorite faded long sleeve t-shirt and heavily considered climbing back into bed. The comfort of my sweatpants gets me every time because they aren’t your typical sweatpants. I have had them for so long (7 years) that there are holes in the back, the bottom of the legs are ripped and ragged from walking on them repeatedly, and the elastic is completely gone from the waist band. They truly are a sight to behold. In fact, I can’t wear them in public anymore because the holes are too large but if you come to my house anytime from now until spring; I’ll be wearing them.  I have numerous pairs of sweatpants but they don’t compare to the comfort of my old, grungy, frayed, worn to shreds grey sweatpants.
Every one of us has a favorite worn out article of clothing. There is something about the comfort of your favorite pair of sweatpants or sweatshirt that makes cold mornings bearable and something about your favorite T-shirt that makes casual Fridays more enjoyable.  Whatever the case, we find ourselves searching our dresser drawers for our treasured article of clothing more frequently than any other item inside.  Sometimes our sinful nature starts to resemble our favorite pair of sweatpants. It’s familiar, it fits perfectly, after so long the stains and shreds go unnoticed, and it’s comfortable.  Fortunately, for us God knows our need for a complete wardrobe makeover. I am not talking about Him giving us new tennis shoes and shirts without holes. He wants to give us a complete spiritual cleansing. When you go shopping for a new outfit for a special occasion, you don’t buy pants and a shirt and then wear worn shoes.  But when you confess your sins do you only surrender half of your sinful nature? Or do you hold onto guilt and shame for past mistakes convinced that you can’t possibly be forgiven? Our guilt and shame over past mistakes are also smelly and stained and in need of a makeover. Jesus paid the price at the cross and by his blood we are cleansed. His blood bleaches our sinful nature and he forgives us completely, leaving us sparkling and radiant. Are you walking around in sin or perhaps you’re walking around in brand new shoes but your clothes are filthy and battered.  God is waiting to give you a spiritual makeover and wrap you in his robe of forgiveness. His makeover isn’t limited to outward appearance. When you forgive yourself, you will see yourself in a whole new way and begin to allow God to heal your brokenness and shame.
I love my infamous sweatpants and have accepted that they are an essential part to my wardrobe. I am not impressed with my old rags but they are my favorite. When I think about my past and the sins in my life I know that they are not an essential part of who I am. When I allowed God to give me a complete new look; I was left speechless at how he turned my rags into pure beauty. Treasure your favorite “old rags” and take delight in the comfort that comes along with your favorite articles of clothing but allow God to get rid of all the garments of shame, guilt, and sin that are part of your wardrobe.  When you do, your seven year old sweatpants will fail in comparison to the comfort of God’s forgiveness.

Verse to remember: Ephesians 4:22-24 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self which is being corrupted by it’s deceitful desires. 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment