Saturday, October 9, 2010

Put me in coach

If I had a bucket list, one item on it would be to stand on the sidelines at Milan Puskar Stadium inches away from the tunnel as the Mountaineers took the field. Another item on my list would be to meet former legendary Mountaineer football players. And if I could have any job for a year (or a lifetime), I would be an ESPN football commentator. I’m not going to be taking over a spot on college game day but today I did stand on the sidelines at Mountaineer field and I did shake hands with former WVU football players that went on to play in the NFL. From the moment the Pride of West Virginia took the field until Country Roads filled the stadium solidifying victory, I stood there and captured every moment of today’s game.  I was close enough to the players that I was able listen to team huddles, I was close enough to the end zone that I didn’t have to wait for instant replay to see if the referee made the correct call, and I was close enough to the sideline that one a few occasions I had to jump out of the way of a 6’2 linebacker running full speed out of bounds. At the end of the game, I even shook hands with the head coach and stood right beside him as he delivered his post game speech to the radio. The last words I heard as I left the stadium, were the famous words of WVU’s radio announcer: “it’s a great day to be a mountaineer, wherever you may be.” For this mountaineer, today was the greatest day imaginable.
I have been to over 50 WVU games in my life and each game has a different memory that makes it unique and unforgettable but before today, I was never in the heart of the game.  Every game I attend from this point on, will fail to compare to today simply because I will be watching from the stands opposed to the sidelines.  Today it was a privilege to be on the sidelines but when it comes to my relationship with Christ, I never want to be on the sidelines. I never want to be watching God from a distance and I certainly never want to be a benchwarmer for God’s kingdom. I want to be among the greatest players to ever be a part of God’s team. I want God to be so evident in me that I have more radiance coming from me than a kicker who just scored the game winning field goal. Where do you see yourself on God’s team? Are you a leader for Christ? Do you put in the dedication, obedience, and strength required to be part of a winning team?  Or are your contributions to God’s team minimal. I may not be a star quarter back in life and I am definitely not an athlete but my coach is God. And when He tells me to get in the game and give it my all, I do. I am a member of the greatest team ever made and I must listen to my coach everyday so others will be drawn to my team. I can’t recruit players if I sit on the sideline and neglect my team responsibilities and I certainly can’t lead people to the kingdom of God if I lack in my own dedication and obedience.  Once, I was content being part of the losing team because I had never tasted true victory but then I asked Christ into my heart and started playing for the winning team.  Is God the quarterback of your heart? If he is, are you satisfied watching him work from the sidelines or do you want to be the best player on his team?
When I come off the field exhausted, battered, bandaged and bruised; I will shake hands with my coach and the last thing I will hear is Him say, “Well done my good and faithful servant.” And the rewards for all of my hard work will be before me.  

Verse to remember:  James 2: 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment