Sunday, October 17, 2010

Survival tip:how to maintain a fire

One of my faithful readers who happens to be one of my very favorite friends brought to my attention this weekend that she had been present for some of my day to day adventures  and heard firsthand the laughs and misfortunes that fill my days but I have never included her in one of my posts. Before I continue, it is important (and necessary if I want to remain friends) to state that she was 100% joking when she made the comment. In fact, she made it clear that if I addressed her by name she would pause our friendship for an entire hour! I am not scared of the friendship pause because I get that threat all the time…it’s the fact that she does Insanity and has 9 gym memberships that will keep her nameless.
I couldn’t single out my favorite (or most embarrassing) moments to share with you because the list goes on forever but I can tell you that every experience with my friend makes me laugh, cry, and appreciate life so much more.  Recently, after enjoying a fun-filled dinner, we decided that it was a perfect night for a bonfire. Her dad has an awesome fire pit and he was out of town so it was the perfect opportunity to play with his toys without worrying about the consequences. (yes, we asked him first) As I (key word I) was arranging the wood and paper properly, to start the fire she said, “my dad has lighter fluid to help start the fire.” After my firewood was strategically placed (thank you girl scouts), I began lighting the wads of paper also strategically placed within my wood.  As soon as there was fire, my sidekick handed me the lighter fluid. I poured a small amount onto the wood and when it came out dark, I knew we were in trouble. Almost as soon as the words, “this isn’t lighter fluid” came out of my mouth I smelled burning car engine. I took the bottle I was holding away from the fire and held the lighter up to it: it was motor oil. Laughing, I said who keeps motor oil at a fire pit? The good news is, we didn’t need lighter fluid to start the fire but the bad news is for the rest of the evening we had to smell burning oil. Earlier in the week, we (my nameless friend and I) were sitting at a hospital trying to keep laughter in the mist as we awaited the recovery of someone we both love and care about greatly. Somewhere in our laughter, she reminded me of her extreme fear of doctors.  It’s true; she has your typical white coat phobia and her vital signs increase as soon as she becomes a patient. We reminisced about her past encounters with doctors and made jokes about some of her misfortunes.
As I was preparing a way to publically address my beloved friend, these specific stories came to my mind out of the millions I had to choose from. After church this morning, I instantly knew why.  You may not have a fear of white coats and you certainly may not confuse lighter fluid with motor oil but you most definitely need to have a spiritual check-up in order to examine your heart and keep your fire burning.  It is easy for us to believe in Christ and to go through the motions of being Christians but when was the last time you truly examined your heart? Unlike an annual physical, we require a spiritual check-up frequently. Our hearts reflect our spirit and in order for our spirit to be Christ like, we must cleanse our hearts before God often. We must ask ourselves what is the thorn in our flesh and then be honest with God so our fire never burns out.  We must confess our sins and allow Him to give us all that flows from His throne in order to be restored. It isn’t always an easy process but a necessary process in order to remain spiritually healthy.  When you feel your heart tell you it needs a spiritual examination or when you feel that your fire is getting puny; don’t search for lighter fluid or fear the doctor. Instead listen to your heart and be confident in your exam skills…The only one who knows your heart better is exactly the one you are turning to.  When you walk out of the treatment room; you won’t try to avoid scheduling another appointment but instead embrace the next encounter with the great physician.

Verse to remember:  Romans 12:11-12 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment